Re: Any suggestions for Office 2007 migration

Subject: Re: Any suggestions for Office 2007 migration
From: Pamela Nelson <likes2read74 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 12:48:27 -0500

Hi, I get the daily digest, and could not locate the original request for Office 2007 tips, so am sending out the general tips I have gathered from when I was unexpectedly upgraded to 2007 in April. I work for a small company and develop all documentation in MS Word. These tips are in no particular order.

1. You can set the default type for saving files, which reduces headaches if your office also has users on older versions who can't open the .docx or other 2007-specific file types. For example, in Word, this is how to set this option, and I used a similar procedure for Excel:

a. Click the multicolored (office) button at the upper-left corner of the window.

b. Select Word Options at the bottom of the drop-down.

c. Select Save from the left pane.

d. Select Word 97-2003 from the Save Files in this format drop-down list.

e. Click OK at the bottom of the Word Options window.

You can always choose the .docx (or other 2007-specific) format when saving a file.

2. You can add icons for any command you want in the Quick Access toolbar. This was a lifesaver for me.

3. You can't modify the TOC the way you could in past versions; instead you create a new TOC and at the end of the procedure, select Replace Old (or something like that - I had to do this last month, but don't want to risk messing with a document right now to find the exact terms they used).

4. MS created an interactive tool I've found useful - you have to download it to your computer. You perform keystrokes the way you did in Office 2003, and it shows you how to perform the same task in 2007. They have one for each of the Office app's. For example this is the one for Word: Interactive - Word 2003 to Word 2007 command reference.exe which I got permission to download from here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100744321033.aspx

5. MS also created Excel files for ribbon mapping of tasks between 2003 and 2007. I use the spreadsheets for Word and Excel. Someone at the University of Denver created PDFs of the mapping spreadsheets:
Here is the place to download the one for Excel - I don't have the link to the one for Word, but it does exist. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC102128621033.aspx?pid=CT102130321033&AxInstalled=1&c=0 Here is the Denver University site with the PDF versions http://www.du.edu/uts/training/materials/

6. To add or modify styles, go to the Home tab and click the arrow in the lower right of the Styles section. This opens the styles pane in the right side of the window. At the pane's bottom are buttons to modify, etc.

7. For some reason, I had trouble finding the Borders and Shading options in Word. This is how I navigate there, although I imagine there are other, possibly faster, ways to do this:
Go to the Layout tab and select Properties in the Table area. The traditional Table Properties dialog box opens, with the Borders and Shading button displayed on the Table tab.

I hope this helps whoever was asking for 2007 migration tips. Good luck to us all. Please feel free to contact me directly - I'm by no means an Office guru, but am willing to help if you are in a jam.

My best,

Pamela Nelson
likes2read74 -at- hotmail -dot- com

http://www.doctohelp.com