RE: Saving creates an internal error message

Subject: RE: Saving creates an internal error message
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Jennifer Randel" <jennifer_randel -at- khsd -dot- k12 -dot- ca -dot- us>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:55:45 -0600

Jennifer Randel wrote:

> Hi Richard,
> I apologize for being so vague. FM is saving my files, but they are
being
> saved with a dot and a number after the file extension, rendering them
> unrecognizable by Windows the next time I try to open them.

Well, yeah -- Windows depends on the file extensions to identify the
associated application. These are crash files (I don't think you
mentioned FM crashing). Are they being created at the location where you
were trying to Save As the file? (If you were trying to Save As in the
same location as the original, try somewhere else just for grins.)

Anyway, you can do either of two simple things to work around the file
extension problem:

-- Open the file in FM (File > Open) instead of by double-clicking it in
Windows Explorer.
-- In Windows Explorer, rename the file as a .fm file.

If FM only crashes when you do a Save As and is otherwise OK, then try
making a copy of the file in Windows Explorer (then change the name as
needed) and opening that in FM.

Alternatively, do additional troubleshooting: see if the problem can be
tied to one or more graphics. Start removing them, beginning with any
that are OLE objects (graphics imported by using File > Import > Object
instead of File > Import > File). See if the problem goes away at some
point.

Based on what I recall being posted to the list regarding SP3 problems,
I'm betting that OLE objects are the problem. I reiterate my advice not
to use OLE to import graphics (or anything else) into FM.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer