Re: Documentation Deliverables for Complex Scenario

Subject: Re: Documentation Deliverables for Complex Scenario
From: Deborah Hemstreet <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
To: "DWerder -at- t-online -dot- de" <DWerder -at- t-online -dot- de>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 18:38:51 -0400

Doris,

Thanks for your feedback - greatly appreciated. Yours, and the thoughts
of others coincide with many of my thoughts, but are helping to focus
and look at my options.

Question: How does one have user-customizable Help? I really like that
idea, but have no idea how it would be implemented in theory. Currently,
we are using RoboHelp V7 to produce FlashHelp. I do not see them
investing in an Additional authoring tool.

With regard to your idea for short training videos, I introduced this
idea with some difficult procedures in this current release. They were
very happy with the idea. Your thoughts made me think that perhaps we
could do something similar with the theory, but perhaps using some
flowcharts and diagrams to help users see how all the pieces of the SW
fit together.

Obviously, Business Manager is not the real name of the SW, nor is the
stated purpose. (My client was very concerned that I not share any
proprietary information if I sought advice).

What may not be so obvious is that there is a customer-side of the SW,
and an administrative side that the business works with (to work with
their customers).

Interestingly, there is no online Help for the customer, unless the
Business creates it (which they will never do). I've suggested to my
client that we offer to make a customized Business-branded Help that
they can provide for their customers, since once I make one version,
single-sourcing and variables will enable relatively easy customization
for each business using the SW. The clients liked that idea and is
currently exploring options for this.

Well, all for now. THanks for taking the time to answer.

Deborah
http://www.tech-challenged.com

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.