RE: Documentation Deliverables for Complex Scenario

Subject: RE: Documentation Deliverables for Complex Scenario
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com" <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:22:45 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From:
-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet-> inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Deborah Hemstreet
> Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:52 PM
> To: McLauchlan, Kevin
> Cc: DWerder -at- t-online -dot- de; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Documentation Deliverables for Complex Scenario
>
> HI Kevin,
>
> You have some interesting points, and I've seen the same
> thing happen as
> well. So, with that in mind,
> how would you handle training personnel in use of complex SW, complex
> because of the full range of what that SW does in automating a
> previously more complex manual procedure?

You mean like the Oracle Enterprise stuff we're rolling out, to replace the horrible Navision and several other apps?

Well, the primary need is to get exposure and training together. As pointed out, if you throw people into the deep end, and leave your training too late, they'll have floundered their way to a (probably) less-than-optimal solution, based on what they already know, what they have to get done every day/week/month, and what they can figure out, unaided. They'l be resistant to change, too (and only part of that will be resentment... :-) )

If you do it too early, nobody gets a chance to do the one thing that allows them to integrate the training - use it. By the time implementation happens, you need to train again, or, see the previous paragraph.

I think, rather than (as so many companies do) rolling out by department, where each user in the department has to work double for a few months (using the old sytem and the new one in tandem) I would try to get "half" the people in a department take on the new system, while the other half anchored with the old system, until the new system was operating smoothly. THEN I'd have the forerunners train the laggards and finally drop the old system.

Making trainers available during the ramp-up and the secondary hand-off would be a nice touch. I mean, like vendor (or third-party) consultant trainers who would augment the real-life training provided by the in-department real users who had taken the first arrows in their butts and were now pasing their knowledge to those who fought the rear-guard battle.

In that fashion, a third-party trainer could be a resource for several groups/departments during transition.

- Kevin (who is probably talking through his hat, here)The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
or disclosing it.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.