Re: job-hunt weirdness

Subject: Re: job-hunt weirdness
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 11:16:44 -0700 (PDT)

Sometimes it is due to PR maneuvers by the hiring company. Posting job listings makes it look like the company is expanding or has new work starting, so it seems the company is more active and in better condition than it really is. It may help shore up the stock value.

A division of the company may start advertising a job before it gets budget approval to actually hire. That can come from a manager's overconfidence or empire building. In the latter case, someone tries to use the information that they've already started staffing efforts as a rationalization for going forward with the new structure.

Multiple listings can happen just because of bad money management, so they have on-again off-again budget projections. They advertise in June, then someone says that if they lose as much as they think, that will kill the hiring budget, so they stop and wait to see what happens. When July comes along and the loss wasn't as bad as they feared, they crank up the hiring again.

In rare cases, maybe they had to close out the original job posting because a different division took over the project, and the people now in charge restarted it because they didn't like any of the original candidates.

What really freaked me out was a case about a month ago, on the opposite end of the spectrum. A startup company here in Austin advertised for a technical writer. The interviewer told me they got more than 70 resumes, and only 3 of them were from real technical writers. All the rest were from office managers, secretaries, admin assistants, and even a couple of lawyers - people who had no technical background but tried to sell themselves on having a lot of experience writing other types of documents. I wonder what happened to all the tech writers in the Austin area. They can't have all moved out, can they? (I didn't get the job, by the way. No experience with COBIT, whatever the heck that is.)