Re: job-hunt weirdness

Subject: Re: job-hunt weirdness
From: Erik Hare <wabbitoid47 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 10:47:01 -0700 (PDT)

> If recruiter, my guess is the client rejected all the
> resumes they
> submitted and they're out looking for more.
>
> The common belief that recruiters troll for resumes to use
> to impress
> clients is usually a myth.  Hardly anyone with any
> experience as a
> hiring manager is impressed by a stack of resumes for
> people a recruiter
> has been unable to place.

I believe that this is the full story when we see this phenom. I've seen it myself.

Recruiters are paid to deliver employees, so they do not tend to mess around. The reputable ones, which I believe to be the vast majority, would prefer to send 3-5 highly qualified resumes to a client than a big stack of whatever. Trolling or fishing would not help their reputation.

I have also applied for jobs I was sure I was highly qualified for, only to never hear a thing (what pleasant times we live in!) and see it re-listed later (oh, so very pleasant!). I asked a recruiter about one of them, and the conversation went like this:

Me: What happened to this job.
Recruiter: <long, deep sigh>
Me: Were they jerking you around?
Recruiter: No, it's just that they don't know what they want.
Me: What do they really want?
Recruiter: Between you and I? Better management.

So a part of me was glad I wasn't hired. Then again, if I was hired it was a sign that they had obtained better management, which means ... oh, whatever.

I'm still looking.

Erik Hare
http://erikhare.wordpress.com/

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.