Re: job-hunt weirdness

Subject: Re: job-hunt weirdness
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 18:11:50 -0700

I think too much is made of the idea that companies are looking for "reasons" to
not hire or to terminate in order to trim staff. The hardest part of hiring is
to pick out someone attractive from a sea of undesirable applicants, and when it
becomes necessary to trim staff, most companies just trim staff for "reasons
related to business conditions." Who needs any more excuse to not hire or to
terminate?

The human-nature tendency to make decisions based on visceral reactions is
another matter altogether, because sometimes this can happen without the decider
even being aware of it. I think the Google/Facebook searching will become
commonplace, and for a time some people will lose out on opportunities because
of someone's visceral reaction to something that turns up on them; it'll be the
virtual equivalent of walking into a job interview and announcing your positions
on all the hot button issues of the day. But in time it will become evident
that just about *everyone* says or does *something* that will elicit a negative
visceral response from *someone,* except for those who go out of their way to
ensure that nothing about them can ever be found in an online search, and the
choice will be between people with different things you tend not to like about
them vs. those who make themselves into human ciphers, and about whom you know
nothing except what they will tell you. The devil you know is almost always the
better choice.

Gene Kim-Eng