RE: job-hunt weirdness

Subject: RE: job-hunt weirdness
From: "Latella, Vincent" <VINCENT -dot- LATELLA -at- saic -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:31:02 -0400

Keith Hood believes "that using things like Google and Facebook searches
will become more common in the future."

I agree with him, especially given the realization that companies don't
seem to be checking references as routinely as they did in the past.
Think about it; companies are more likely to run credit checks than call
references these days. While we could devote an entire discussion to
why that's the case (and have probably done so already, in fact),
companies *still* value data regarding what their candidates are *really
like.* That said, I'd think that the convenience of gathering *more*
data regarding a candidate's character - quickly, anonymously and easily
- via Google and Facebook would simply be too tempting to pass up.
While I can't imagine searching for every candidate, doing so is more
than manageable for say... ten interviewees or three finalists.

Oh... and just to add fuel to the *grammar as it pertains to cover
letters and resumes* fire, I'd be curious to know how the *one error =
elimination* crowd explains this:

A huge firm with a globally recognized name and a rather conservative
reputation once offered me a position *despite* the fact that there was
a rather obvious (to my eyes, at least) grammatical error in my cover
letter. While I cringed when I realized my mistake, neither the hiring
manager, nor the recruiter seemed to care. Both seemed to have read both
my resume and cover letter, and had annotated copies of both on-hand
during the interviews.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.