Re: How do you ensure the quality of translations?

Subject: Re: How do you ensure the quality of translations?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:44:11 -0700

People need to learn to use the delay in global workplaces to their
advantage. Once you hammer it into your local management and SMEs that
any "last-minute" changes they want to make will require several days to
incorporate into documentation in all languages and republish, you may
see the quality of reviews improve. Especially if you're in an industry
like mine, where you don't get to manufacture, much less ship, product
without all the document ducks lining up in the right order.

Your problem with your overseas colleagues not being good English
speakers is because they're trying to translate documents into English.
They shouldn't be. Chinese-to-English translations should be done by
people who are native *English* speakers. Especially if the documents
are being fed through machine translation.

Gene Kim-Eng