Re: Follow-up to question about getting feedback from users

Subject: Re: Follow-up to question about getting feedback from users
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:37:56 -0700

This isn't about you as the docs manager. It's a privacy issue for the customer.

When your customer is browsing your Web site, they're accessing your
computer, and you're monitoring that use, which (absent local laws and
any privacy policies to the contrary) is your right.

When your customer is using a local help file, collecting feedback
without permission is an invasion of their privacy.

Any promise that the data will be used only in aggregate must be
backed up by a written privacy policy that the user has a chance to
read before agreeing to have the data collected.