Re: Communicator (was Re: Twitter)

Subject: Re: Communicator (was Re: Twitter)
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:57:32 -0800

Yeah, same here. Over 90% of the work is usually research, but what
people need and use is something written.

There are rare occasions when other media can do a better job than
text or text plus illustrations, but most of the technical
documentation I see that uses other media is a mistake.

Unless you're writing for illiterate morons, video and other streaming
media are inefficient and inconvenient.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com> wrote:
> I self-identify as a tech writer but as far as I can tell, I'm not anywhere close to dated. I believe I could hold my own in a "throwdown" (thanks, Bobby Flay) with most of my colleagues.
>
> <Digression> Maybe what we need to get some publicity for our profession is an "Iron Writer" or "Throwdown" challenge program.</Digression>
>
> I've not drunk the "communicator" Kool-aid yet because I'm inclined to believe that in the long run what clients and hiring managers want is *writing*... they don't think of it in terms of "communication" even though we may incorporate far more than just writing into our work.
>
> In addition, it just sounds pretentious to me... somewhat akin to "sanitation engineer" for "garbage collector" or "entrenching tool" for "shovel" or "utilize" instead of "use".
>
> I opposed STC's effort to replace "technical writer" with "technical communicator" in the U.S. Department of Labor Dictionary of Occupational Titles for that reason and also because their proposed definition did not at all mention either "writer" or "writing".

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/