RE: "Is energized"

Subject: RE: "Is energized"
From: <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: BBEGIN -at- aol -dot- com
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:44:22 -0700

Beth wrote:

> A thought/question: When describing the state of a relay as being
> energized, is the term "is energized" accurate? Or do I need to say "is in the
> energized state"?

==========

Personally, I've never like the terms "energized" or "activated" in the
context of hardware/software/electrical products. It could just be an
unreasonable prejudice on my part.

But these terms are often used and/or accepted standards. So what I'd
suggest is to do some quick research, e.g., google the terms, to see how
and when they're used. Other good places to look are Wikipedia and some
of the standards sites for the industry, as well as competitors' sites.
Also, what others on the list recommend :-)

Do a brief summary of common usage, then talk to the SME with your data
to see if you can come to an agreement. You want your audience to be
able to understand the content, so it's important to use standard
terminology, or train them to understand it where necessary.

Kathleen