RE: Total Confusion; was, "RE: RoboHelp: Ready to Publish...how doI do that?"

Subject: RE: Total Confusion; was, "RE: RoboHelp: Ready to Publish...how doI do that?"
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, "ASK TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:51:28 -0800

A most interesting and amusing salutation, Mike. And as to your
question, "did you not read the subject line?"; the answer is, "yes."

I glad you troubled to write as you raise a very important point
regarding style and tone. We differ in opinion as to whether Rick's
message was "totally" appropriate. I would stop at saying that it was
"somewhat" appropriate. As you know, the technical writer is concerned
with nothing if not decorousness, and Rick's tone was indeed
regrettable. And while I admire his (and, indeed, your) chivalrousness
in coming to the aid of a befuddled fellow technical writer, and he and
I have in fact sorted out the matter between ourselves without having
had it come to a duel (a fact which you may have discerned had you read
the entire thread before responding to it), I would nevertheless venture
to say that the message itself was less than "totally" appropriate.
Having said that, I would be remiss were I not to confess that I accept
full responsibility for the fact that Rick was "totally confused."

In conclusion, as evidenced by this most unfortunate misunderstanding
and, in fact, in this very massage, the style and tone used when
writing, as you well know, is as important to ones massage as the
content one wishes to communicate.

Leonard