Re: OT: Profanity in the workplace

Subject: Re: OT: Profanity in the workplace
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Wade Courtney <wade -dot- courtney -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:01:13 -0500

It took me a while to figure out what cheese and rice meant.

Friggin, et. c. are just words of extreme emphasis (I'm assuming that they
are used as adjectives or adverbs) and those don't bother me, just as the
british adjective of emphasis "bloody" bothers me. Using those as verbs,
however, does offend me.

BS/Crap depends on the context - if used to describe some item that "does
not work as advertised with extreme prejudice" or an obvious gross falsehood
- I think it falls under "plain talk"

When such provocative language is used as part of an ad hominem attack, I
don't approve of that usage under any circumstances.

But if a 3 year old proclaims "sh*t!" when her ice cream falls from her cone
onto the pavement, I'll laugh along with her granmother and not bat an eye.

But I worked as the lone female engineer in an R&D lab for a long time, and
cursing is par for the course when you've been debugging hardware for 10
hours straight and stuff blows up or doesn't work.

-Wendy

Wendy
---
wendyshandmade.etsy.com