AW: Flare question - Capture rendering in pdf

Subject: AW: Flare question - Capture rendering in pdf
From: "Christine Leisgen" <Christine -dot- Leisgen -at- gmgcolor -dot- com>
To: "Claudine Chausson" <claudine -dot- chausson -at- sword-fircosoft -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:25:50 +0200

Dear Claudine,

unfortunately, Flare is quite complicated at this point, as you have multiple options to scale images and so on. I struggled for some time and did a lot of testing to find out the best way, as image quality is critical for us, especially for printed manuals. Here are my findings:

* png for screenshots. Do not downsample screenshots. Scale them down only if you must-the quality, readability, and sharpness decreases dramatically.
* JPG for illustrations (300 dpi, Quality = 10). I tried WMF and EMF, but the file size gets huge and I see a lot of artifacts, for examples, object borders that should not be there. The only disadvantage is that the chm file size increases dramatically, because the "max-width" parameter in the CSS only scales the image down when it is displayed, the full image is included in the compiled help. (I would like the feature that images would be resampled for online outputs.)

Scaling (if required): Only via the Print Resolution parameter (defined in the Capture profile) and the "max-width" parameter in the CSS. Using the Scale function in Capture or Flare also affects the print output, i. e. the resolution will be lower and thus the quality decreases. (I would like the possibility to define different img resolutions for the media types in the CSS, but unfortunately, that is not possible.)

By doing so, our image quality is very high, even for offset printing of manuals.

Best regards, Christine