Re: Customer-friendly word for "landline"

Subject: Re: Customer-friendly word for "landline"
From: RÃdacteur en chef <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 14:23:44 -0500

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
> A thought -- although not likely a good fit in terms of why you're referring
> to the landline, I think that the term may be morphing into an "emergency
> phone" sort of thing.
>
> And it's timely now, with all the storms and power outages in the US at the
> moment, to recall that emergency agencies have been trying (without much
> success it seems) to convince people that it's important to keep an old
> fashioned phone around the house and pay for the most basic plan -- some
> phone companies are even calling it a 911-line, I think. ÂAnd not only is it
> important that it be a "landline", but that it not be an
> all-in-one-answering-machine-system that doesn't work if the power goes out
> for an extended period. ÂSo the old phones that did one thing only -- make
> and receive calls without any power beyond what was provided through the
> phone line itself -- are what they're talking about.
>
> As I noted, it's unlikely that you really want to refer to the landline as
> an emergency life phone, but maybe that concept will stir the group
> imagination and a great new term will emerge :-).
>
> -Monique

The phone company around here is running fiber to the newly built homes
and neighborhoods.
Not copper wire.
Fiber doesn't power anything. It needs a powered terminal somewhere
in your house, to accept the light-beam signals, and convert them
back to electricity, so your household "landline" phone can connect.

Yet-another argument for having a generator in the back yard.
I'm thinkin' natural-gas powered.

--
 Â__o
_`\<,_