RE: Alternatives to "blacklist" and "whitelist"

Subject: RE: Alternatives to "blacklist" and "whitelist"
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Benjamin Paulus <greyline -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:39:05 -0800

Benjamin Paulus wrote:

> I've been tasked with providing some alternatives to the terms "blacklist"
> and "whitelist." So far, all I've come up with are "deny list" and "allow
> list." Does anyone use any other alternatives?

We'd have to know the context in which the terms are being used to comment intelligently. But if the context has to do with spam filtering or network security, using alternative terms that you or the list members come up with would be a bad idea. This is the accepted and understood terminology.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom