cloud backups and contracts (was - Authoring tool ... cloud)

Subject: cloud backups and contracts (was - Authoring tool ... cloud)
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:25:05 -0700

Building on what Kevin said, yes, it's very important for those of us contracting to be aware of the potential issues: both technical and legal.

And so not too long ago, in preparation for doing my backups to the cloud (because there's not really much safety in my external hard drive, given that it's mere inches away from my primary computer) I started amending my contracts, whether they were actually "mine" or versions presented to me by clients and that I requested changes to, to specifically cover cloud backups.

And there are a surprisingly large number of places in a contract where this consideration is needed. For example, many contracts say that we must surrender all material when a contract is over if so requested, but now I have in the contract wording to the effect that the client understands that due to the nature of backups it may not be possible to surrender all such copies, and that this fact does not violate the terms of the contract. (This isn't the only place to include such language, just one example, and indeed an example of why I think it a worthwhile expense to have a lawyer review all my contracts.)

-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com