Re: FrameMaker 10 trial removes my Acrobat installation?

Subject: Re: FrameMaker 10 trial removes my Acrobat installation?
From: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:33:16 -0700

On 8/21/2011 11:18 AM, Fred Ridder wrote:

I just want to clarify a couple of points.
First, what FrameMaker 10 installs is not "an inoperable Acrobat version". What it does install is a fully functional but "headless" version of Acrobat Distiller (full Distiller functionality but with no user interface). Every version of FrameMaker since 5.5 has included a headless Distiller in order to be able to produce PDFs from FrameMaker files and books.
Second, in every FrameMaker installer I've used (from 5.5.6 to 9.0), the FrameMaker installer calls a secondary installer that installs the headless Distiller and creates a PDF virtual printer instance, and the user is prompted before that sub-installer kicks off. As Peter explained, it is not possible to have more than one instance of Distiller installed on the same computer (this is because of the way Distiller has to hook into the Windows printer driver), so once you tell the installer to proceed with the Adobe PDF printer installation, you have effectively told the program to uninstall any older version of Distiller.
The real problem is that it is hard to explain all the ramifications of installing the Adobe PDF printer in an installer dialog box, and it just underlines Peter's advice about not installing evaluation software on a production machine. This is particularly true if the evaluation software is a newer version of a tool you already have installed, and even more so if it is a tool you use to get your job done.
I've been installing FrameMaker versions since about version 3 in the early 90s. I've also installed a lot of trial software. I appreciate the tip and will certainly watch out for stuff like this in the future (especially from Adobe), but I've never seen a program uninstall another program entirely. The headless version of Acrobat that Fm 10 installed does still work for making PDFs from Word, but I can no longer start Acrobat by itself because Fm 10 removed the executables for Acrobat 6. Many previous versions of FrameMaker I have installed have usually messed with Distiller, and I expect that, but they did not disable Acrobat as a separate app. It seems like an obvious bug.

Mark Giffin

http://www.doctohelp.com