Re: Using Word for book publishing

Subject: Re: Using Word for book publishing
From: Donna McManus <donna -dot- mcmanus -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Rick_Bishop <rickbishop -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 12:41:52 -0400

Rick, can you describe how you did this?

I believe that you've done this, and I once was a government wonk. Had
developed a few documents that were at least 400-500 pages but nothing of
this scope, but see that it is possible. Word has hold in most environment
just because it's perceived to be compatible with everything and it is
perceived that no one needs specialized training to use it. (Worked both for
defense contractors and the state of Ohio.) I'd produced some complex
documents in Word but here are the obstacles I've encountered:

- Size (MB) is a huge obstacle. The bigger the file, the less stable Word
became. (Admittedly, I have not done this beyond Word 2007 so maybe the new
version behaves better..)

- The whole section break scenario is UGLY. When setting up documents with
facing pages or using column formats, the Continuous section break is
difficult if used manually of accidentally deleted.

- Subdocuments only added bloat to the document and it's not a two-way
street with updates to them. (If you update a subdocument within the master,
it doesn't update OR the subdocs bloat the final output -- I'd actually did
a few tests with this about 4-5 years ago with 2003. Creating a final doc
just by inserting files was infinitely safer and smaller than creating a doc
with subdocs -- a 150+ doc without subdocs was hovering around 40K, the
master with subdoc links hovered well over 85K and was unstable--kept
crashing.)

Also, did you distribute a special template to your SMEs?

Admittedly, none of these problems involved SMEs or other content
providers/editors/writers. I would imagine at minimum, you used track
changes or had some method of being able to know who did what and where?

http://www.doctohelp.com