Re: verb forms related to Twitter ?

Subject: Re: verb forms related to Twitter ?
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:45:04 -0700

On 9/14/2011 1:54 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

The guidelines say nothing about verb forms such as tweeted. Twitter's
writers appear to use Tweet only as a noun.

The guidelines make no mention of the word form of "Tweet" and only mention that the word should be capitalized. The OP only mentioned the use of the word, "tweet," but not "tweeted." I think that Twitter expected that any reference to "Tweet" should be capitalized, whether it was a noun or a verb, however, in their @Support timeline, they capitalize the noun, but not the verb form. Traditional rules are that any variation of a brand name by adding a suffix still require that the brand name be capitalized. So for the brand Xerox, Xerox is capitalized in Xeroxed, even if the word Xeroxed is not a correct word. Google accepts the verb form of its brand name, but the brand name, "Google," must still be capitalized, in "Googled" and "Googling."

I tweeted the question to Twitter Support.

http://twitter.com/#!/Sac_Pixie/statuses/114090537405001730

Lauren

http://www.doctohelp.com