RE: starting on page 2?

Subject: RE: starting on page 2?
From: "Robart, Kay" <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:03:53 -0500

So, I take it you're also not using facing page formats? Because there
is a very old rule, which I barely remember, that the first text page is
page 3. However, I can't off-hand remember the reference. If I look at
newer books, the first page is a 1. If I look at older books, the first
page is a 3. I've never heard of starting on page 2, but I know that a
few years ago, people started putting chapter names (title pages) on the
right-hand pages and starting the content on the next left-hand page, so
maybe that has something to do with it.

Oh, here it is. The Chicago Manual of Style says the first text page is
page 3. However, my Chicago is old. Anyone have a new one? I just tried
to use my organization's online version, but our subscription is
expired.

I'm assuming that the page 2 "rule" is some version of the same thing
using nonfacing pages. However, I taught report writing on the college
level for years, and I never heard of this "rule," so I don't think
anyone can say that's the way it's always been.

Kay