Re: starting on page 2?

Subject: Re: starting on page 2?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:53:12 -0700

And *if *APA style, please understand that much of the real world doesn't
adhere to it.

Four years ago a freshly-minted PhD was assigned to oversee our five-person
(software) technical writing department and had never heard of any style
other than APA. He had certainly never heard of the *Chicago Manual of Style
*, nor style guides published by Sun Microsystems, Apple Computer and
Microsoft regarding sw documentation. It took weeks to convince him that he
knew not of what he spoke.

</peace out>

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Kaye Adkins <kadkinsphd -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Teacher speaking here--ask for clarification.
>
> I'm guessing that what's going on here is something like APA style. In APA,
> page 1 is a title page that includes title, author, organization, etc. The
> number may or may not appear on this. (Personally, I don't make my students
> fight with Word, and I let them show the running header with the page
> number.) The text of the paper/report/project begins on page 2.
>
> Kaye Adkins
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Becca <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
>
> > In two classes that I'm taking, we've been given specific formats for our
> > projects... and they always start on page 2, with the cover page being
> > considered as page one. I've asked both teachers about this, and they
> both
> > feel that this is the way it's always been done.
> >
> > Since when has a cover page been considered page 1? I've noticed in Word
> 10
> > that it takes a ton of finessing to get the first real page to be
> paginated
> > as page 1, that it's automatically determined that the cover page is page
> 1.
> >
> > When did this change take place? and why? And why does Word enforce it
> so?
> >
> > -becca
> >
> >
> >
> > =========================
> > There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays
> > And every single one of them is right!
> > --Rudyard Kipling
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
> > Doc-To-Help.
> > Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
> > Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
> > http://www.doctohelp.com
> >
> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kadkinsphd -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
> >
> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> > techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> > or visit
> >
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kadkinsphd%40gmail.com
> >
> >
> > To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> >
> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> > http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
> >
> > Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> > http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> Less may be more, but you can't do more with less.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
> Doc-To-Help.
> Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
> Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/salt.morton%40gmail.com
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>
>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat


Follow-Ups:

Previous by Author: Re: starting on page 2?
Next by Author: M$ Manual of Style, 4th edition
Previous by Thread: Re: starting on page 2?
Next by Thread: RE: starting on page 2?


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads