Re: Visio -- Pro or Standard?

Subject: Re: Visio -- Pro or Standard?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Arnold, Ann" <Ann -dot- Arnold -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:51:49 -0700

We have a couple of concerns. Do you really need the Professional
version to create the general kinds of drawings that technical writers
usually create ...

Hi Ann,

The answer is -- it depends. It depends on exactly what you want to draw. The Pro version comes with a lot more templates & stencils, I believe. Regardless of which version you purchase, though, you can buy 3rd party templates & stencils to support whatever you need to draw.

But the two versions (Pro & Standard) work the same as far as I know. Here's a useful link that compares the versions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896660.

And the wikipedia article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visio, provides several links (at the end of the article) for third-party add-ins and stencils. (I've used a few from VisioCafe, and the Visio Guy has very helpful articles.)

HTH,
-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com