RE: Visio -- Pro or Standard?

Subject: RE: Visio -- Pro or Standard?
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Arnold, Ann'" <Ann -dot- Arnold -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:55:42 -0400

Ann Arnold, asked about Visio versions-- Pro or Standard?

"I need to install Visio to create basic drawings and diagrams. Only 2010 is
available through our vendor. My colleague is using Visio 2003 Professional.
... Do you really need the Professional version to create the general kinds
of drawings that technical writers usually create like flowcharts,
architecture representations (not at the engineering level but at the user
level), and other graphics that we writers (not technical illustrators) use
to visually show the user concepts and so forth? Does anyone know of
compatibility issues between files saved in 2010 with someone using 2003?
Ann:

I'm not sure whether this only applies to the Pro version, but you can go
online to the MS Visio site and download additional templates if you need a
special-purpose one. I would also inquire whether 2010 files can be saved in
a 2003-compatible format. I do know that if you open a 2003 file in a newer
version, Visio automatically upgrades the drawing to the newer format. Maybe
someone can give you a link to a Visio users forum where you could get some
answers before you buy.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

http://www.doctohelp.com