RE: Name of Hardware Control?

Subject: RE: Name of Hardware Control?
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Nancy Allison'" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:43:48 -0400

Nancy Allison asked for suggestions for the "Name of Hardware Control?"
"I'm writing about a hand-held instrument that has a flat surface. No knobs
or buttons protrude.The instrument has a display panel and under it are four
white circles that are printed on the flat surface of the instrument. There
must be some kind of pressure sensor under each one that recognizes when you
press on the circle. These circles line up with whatever text currently
appears in the bottom row of the display. Example:
Begin Pause Options Cancel
.... the white circles have no printed names: their function changes with
each change of the UI text.What the heck do you call them? "Pushbutton" has
been suggested and I may go with it. Are other terms in use?"
I think I'd refer to the circles as "touch points", because they are the
only places on the device that respond to touch or pressure, and allow the
user to interact with what is displayed on the rest of the screen. JMHO
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA


Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:

Name of Hardware Control?: From: Nancy Allison

Previous by Author: RE: Visio -- Pro or Standard?
Next by Author: RE: cross-media publishing
Previous by Thread: RE: Name of Hardware Control?
Next by Thread: RE: Name of Hardware Control?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads