RE: Name of Hardware Control?

Subject: RE: Name of Hardware Control?
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Nancy Allison'" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:43:48 -0400

Nancy Allison asked for suggestions for the "Name of Hardware Control?"
"I'm writing about a hand-held instrument that has a flat surface. No knobs
or buttons protrude.The instrument has a display panel and under it are four
white circles that are printed on the flat surface of the instrument. There
must be some kind of pressure sensor under each one that recognizes when you
press on the circle. These circles line up with whatever text currently
appears in the bottom row of the display. Example:
Begin Pause Options Cancel
.... the white circles have no printed names: their function changes with
each change of the UI text.What the heck do you call them? "Pushbutton" has
been suggested and I may go with it. Are other terms in use?"
Nancy:
I think I'd refer to the circles as "touch points", because they are the
only places on the device that respond to touch or pressure, and allow the
user to interact with what is displayed on the rest of the screen. JMHO
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

http://www.doctohelp.com