RE: Word 2010 bullet and numbers issue - won't revert to body text

Subject: RE: Word 2010 bullet and numbers issue - won't revert to body text
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Louise Stevanovic'" <Louise -dot- Stevanovic -at- nehta -dot- gov -dot- au>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:12:01 -0400

Louise Stevanovic asked about Word 2010 bullet and numbers issue that won't
revert to body text:
"I have two issues with list styles I've set up in a Word 2010 template. I
followed the advice on Shauna Kelly's webpage and on other webpages about
setting up the lists using list styles, and I've searched the Techwr-l
archives and googled, but can't find answers...hope someone can help. I
cannot get my lists to revert to Body text after two hard returns at the end
of a list. This is happening for both bulleted lists and numbered lists.
"Successive hard returns after List bullet 4 takes me back through List
bullet 4, List bullet 3, List bullet 2 and then List bullet in succession -
which all makes sense. However, the style then stays at Level 1 bullet but
without the bullet. At this point, it should revert to Body text.
Louise:
I haven't used the newest version of Word, but a work-around that always
worked in older versions of Word was to create THREE List 1 or Bullet 1
styles: List 1 Start, which has the setting to restart numbering, but
otherwise is identical to List 1. List 1 (for the rest of the list) with
continue existing numbering, and List 1 End, which has continue numbering,
but also has the setting for the paragraph style after set to go back to
Body Text. As far as I know, getting the style to revert at the end of the
list has always been a Word quirk that frequently needed user intervention,
because it did not always happen as expected. HTH
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

http://www.doctohelp.com