Visio -- Pro or Standard?

Subject: Visio -- Pro or Standard?
From: "Arnold, Ann" <Ann -dot- Arnold -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:20:46 -0700

I need to install Visio to create basic drawings and diagrams. Only 2010
is available through our vendor. My colleague is using Visio 2003
Professional.

We have a couple of concerns. Do you really need the Professional
version to create the general kinds of drawings that technical writers
usually create like flowcharts, architecture representations (not at the
engineering level but at the user level), and other graphics that we
writers (not technical illustrators) use to visually show the user
concepts and so forth?

Does anyone know of compatibility issues between files saved in 2010
with someone using 2003?

Thanks for any input.

Ann Arnold

Technical Writer