Re: introducing steps

Subject: Re: introducing steps
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:13:22 -0700

I spent last year writing instructions for products that may be under some of your Christmas trees this year, and you're not off base. Similar phrasing (we skipped "installation procedure" and started with "installing") worked very well for younger focus group subjects, and older ones didn't find it objectionable. Definitely a viable approach for user instructions that are meant to seem "friendly." Cheaper to translate, too.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Chung" <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>

This generation now omits all stem-related phrases, instead trusting
the heading I provide the appropriate context.

"Sigil installation procedure"

"Installing Sigil"

Etc.

I may be off base with the cumudgeonly contingent, but this is how the
kids are doing it these days. *snicker*

http://www.doctohelp.com