RE: Ideas for Help 2.0

Subject: RE: Ideas for Help 2.0
From: "Michael West" <mike -dot- west -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:42:09 +1100

Someone who describes a user guide as "boring" fails to understand the
purpose of a user guide - which is not to entertain, but to provide clear,
concise instructions for accomplishing specific tasks.

There are numerous ways in which a user guide can fail, but none of them
involve a lack of awesomeness. A guide (whether on paper or online) either
answers my questions clearly, quickly and efficiently, or it doesn't. That
is all.

It sounds like what you or your boss are after is slick marketing
collateral, which is fine, but when they need help, people are neither
looking for nor interested in a "kickass" experience. They want useful
answers rather than BS.

Mike West