RE: document your job?

Subject: RE: document your job?
From: Debbie Hemstreet <D_Hemstreet -at- rambam -dot- health -dot- gov -dot- il>
To: 'Editor in Chief' <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com >> TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:18:55 +0000

I can think of several reasons why you would want to document your job:

1. Your environment is far from standard. Hence, someone, somewhere, needs to be aware of this in the event that something happens to you.

2. If you get promoted, you THINK you will have time to train someone, but trust me, you won't. In addition, a new person's head will spin with the little bit you shared. So if you really want to help a subordinate or assistant, this should all be in writing as a handy reference guide.

3. As long as you are employed by this company, you are a valuable asset to your company. Minimal respect towards your employer merits you document these processes. They can be used to a) leverage your position; b) help a new supervisor/boss understand your role; c) educate engineers about the documentation process; d) have a potential replacement think twice before stepping into your shoes (what if you aren't fired, but quit or retire?).

4. Finally, in the event that you are "released" from your work, unless they physically lock you out of the office and you cannot pass on critical information, you may want to have that information there anyway. While you may not feel like you owe the company anything, it has many individuals who could become future colleagues/partners. Someone who worked with you and saw you leaving gracefully would heavily weigh this info if considering to hire you for their own company/startup/project. Information is passed on, and leaving well under bad circumstances ALWAYS gives you an excellent reference from someone. The converse, I believe, is also true.

I hope this is helpful to the discussion

Debbie
דבורה
Deborah Hemstreet
Editorial Assitant, Rambam Maimonides Medical Journal
and English Editor/Writer
Rambam Health Care Campus
Ext. 1285
Tel. 04 854-1285