Re: document your job?

Subject: Re: document your job?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Debbie Hemstreet <D_Hemstreet -at- rambam -dot- health -dot- gov -dot- il>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:27:36 -0700

I take a middle ground approach to these two points. Yes, while employed
by your company you are a valuable asset, but you are an asset who is
obligated to apply your efforts where the company places priority. So when
you are submitting your objectives for the coming year, include one for
documenting process and work tasks, assign it a priority and an effort
level and get buy-in from your management so that your effort in this area
is a recognized part of your job for the coming year and you receive
appropriate recognition for it when your accomplishments for the year are
being reviewed at the end of the year. If your management will not buy in
to you spending time on this, then you are being directed to apply yourself
elsewhere and you should follow that direction.

In the event you are subsequently "released" from the company, the reality
is that if the company did not want you to expend effort in this area while
you were working there, you really do not owe the company anything in it
now. In the event that your work is assigned to a former co-worker with
whom you had and want to maintain a good personal or professional
relationship you can certainly act on that desire and offer to answer any
questions on a person-to-person basis, but otherwise if the company wants
anything from you after it has terminated you, you should have a form for a
consulting contract ready to pull out and submit along with your hourly
rate.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help