RE: Construction terminology question

Subject: RE: Construction terminology question
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <d_hemstreet -at- rambam -dot- health -dot- gov -dot- il>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 11:33:08 -0400

You seem to be presupposing concrete piles, Gene. But I believe the further description refers to "beams" which were "driven into the ground". From that, I get the impression that the piles are steelwork, in which case "drive" (as used by Deborah herself) would be the matching verb. And there are also cases where piles (or more often "pilings") are wooden, and are used to support a dock or pier; this is the case where the "sunk" verb that someone else mentioned would most commonly come into play.

-Fred Ridder

> Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:12:44 -0700
> Subject: Re: Construction terminology question
> From: techwr -at- genek -dot- com
> To: D_Hemstreet -at- rambam -dot- health -dot- gov -dot- il
> CC: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Foundation piles can be precast and driven in or they can be poured in
> place. If you don't know the specific method being used, the most common
> generic term appears to be "install."
> Gene Kim-Eng
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Debbie Hemstreet <
> D_Hemstreet -at- rambam -dot- health -dot- gov -dot- il> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I need to write about a construction project.
> >
> > We have the term "piles" (which look like long tubes to support an outer
> > construction wall).
> >
> > How would I say... 1,800 piles were xxxx...

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help. Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need.

Try Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.


You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @


Construction terminology question: From: Debbie Hemstreet
Re: Construction terminology question: From: Gene Kim-Eng

Previous by Author: physical B2B products: moving from end-user CDs to download
Next by Author: RE: Writing guides (was: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 82, Issue 17)
Previous by Thread: Re: Construction terminology question
Next by Thread: Re: Construction terminology question

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads