Re: monitor developer / support IM chat in background?

Subject: Re: monitor developer / support IM chat in background?
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:32:39 -0700

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM, McLauchlan, Kevin <
Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

> One thing that I like about e-mail lists and threads is that,
> as long as I'm subscribed, the material comes to my PC (or to
> my mailbox-in-the-cloud(s), and possibly gets sorted and
> stashed, but doesn't get lost if I forget to connect for a while.
> If the archives of hundred-person, hundred-topic chats are
> now equally accessible, that's possibly great... or possibly yet-another
> time-sink. :-)

Instant messenger programs are great for in the moment requests. Many
organizations still use IRC for the same purpose you describe: ongoing
discussion with archive so you can use the resource for documentation later.

Another system that might be worth trying is Yammer. We were recently
introduced to it at our STC chapter level. Yammer archives discussions in
relevant groups. The chats can happen in real time, but you don't have to
be online at the time to refer to the chats. They used to offer a product
that companies could host internally, but I can't find anything about that
now.

-Tony

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help