RE: monitor developer / support IM chat in background?

Subject: RE: monitor developer / support IM chat in background?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:24:57 -0400

Well, that was my point.
My limited experience with chatting has suggested that it's
more useful for one-on-one or very-small-group interaction
that starts and finishes, and not for long, convoluted, branching
discussions that could span days or weeks, have several sub-topics,
and need very good annotation features to keep straight.
Mailing lists and e-mail programs, and to some extent, blogs
with threaded commenting enabled, and even good old
fashioned newsgroups have that covered.

Maybe chat streams are equally useful for that sort of thing now,
but I lack the experience with them, so I'm paying attention to
this discussion.

Oh yeah... and Wikis. Let's not forget the Wiki.

One thing that I like about e-mail lists and threads is that,
as long as I'm subscribed, the material comes to my PC (or to
my mailbox-in-the-cloud(s), and possibly gets sorted and
stashed, but doesn't get lost if I forget to connect for a while.
If the archives of hundred-person, hundred-topic chats are
now equally accessible, that's possibly great... or possibly yet-another
time-sink. :-)

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help