RE: How does your team track document requests?

Subject: RE: How does your team track document requests?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Ryan Pollack <ryan -at- clicksecurity -dot- com>, "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:09:10 -0500

We're using MKS (for a while longer - look up Mortise Kern Systems) for bug tracking and feature requests (as well as for software source control), and items arrive on my plate in various formats.

Some are bug/feature issues that have been addressed by developers, and are now moved to my plate to document - either how a new/changed feature works, or how to work around an issue that was not fixed. The preferred way is for the developer to create a new documentation issue associated with the finished software/firmware/hardware issue, but as often as not, I just get the original issue re-assigned to my box, with my name, rather than the name of a developer or tester, and with a note "Techpubs, please document this for customers - edit John's comments from the Resolution Actions section and include. Thanks.".

Some are change requests and feature requests from Support and from Sales-Eng, aimed directly at customer documentation. They often include FAQ items or use cases that nobody thought of when the product was released. ("You say your new customer wants to do ... WHAT!??!?")

Lately, as we've been switching (from waterfall) over to Agile, everything is either an Agile story or an Agile Task, still within the MKS system.

Somehow, all this will get translated into whatever terminology is used by the new source-control and bug-tracking system(s) as 2013 progresses.

But I (and my co-writer) will still be part of the same system that the developers and others use. I wouldn't have it any other way.