Re: Telecommuting ( was: Do as I say, not as I do )

Subject: Re: Telecommuting ( was: Do as I say, not as I do )
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 13:04:01 -0800

Workers Comp is a potential head scratcher, for example if a telecommuting worker is driving between the home work location and the office for a can't-miss meeting and is in an accident, is that an OTJ injury.

The most common reason why companies that allow telecommuting stop doing it is telecommuting workers not being where they're supposed to be during working hours. A lot of workers don't seem to get that telecommuting is not the same as being an independent contractor, and that they don't get to make their own hours and are expected to be at their work location during working hours even if that location is off-site in their home.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 2/21/2013 10:24 AM, Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com wrote:

We were told that the reason my company discontinued telecommuting (except for a very few) was because their insurance wouldn't cover employees working from home, BUT they'd still be liable to be sued by a telecommuting employee or a visitor to the employee's home. This is California, and that info was from years ago. But I've never run across anything official on the subject.

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z