Re: starting a sentence w/lower-case product name

Subject: Re: starting a sentence w/lower-case product name
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 20:19:06 -0500

Companies really help us out, don't they?

This is always an awkward item to handle, and most simply avoid it. The first example I could think of was eBay, which is, of course, lower case for the beginning letter. Surprisingly, they were pretty good at the avoiding angle. However, I did find one place they didn't.

Abusing eBay
eBay and its community of users (the "Community") work together to keep our sites, services, applications, and tools working properly and the Community safe. Please report problems, offensive content, and policy violations to us.

eBay's Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program works to ensure that listed items do not infringe upon the copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property rights of third parties. If you believe that your intellectual property rights have been violated, please notify our VeRO team through our Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program.

I think the trademark trumps the first letter upper case rule, since to do otherwise is to dilute the trademark and you don't want to do that. As to a definitive rule, I'm not sure. I looked through my copy of The Chicago Manual of Style but couldn't find anything.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>