RE: starting a sentence w/lower-case product name

Subject: RE: starting a sentence w/lower-case product name
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
To: TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 18:58:05 -0800

What about when the product name is in all lowercase? No internal caps at all. For example, "philosophy" for the skin care line. They use it all lowercase as the first word of sentences on their web site. I always find this situation uncomfortable but it seems legitimate, especially, as others have said, when it is a trademark. (I think what's weird is that you feel that there's a lack of reference point. That initial cap is an anchor in a way, and we're so used to it -- without it, we feel like we're reading a sentence where something was cut out. There's a great book on punctuation by Robert Brittain where he considers the initial capital at the beginning of a sentence to be a punctuation mark every bit as much as the period at the end. In fact I think he said they were tandem punctuation or something.)

Steve