Re: CrossRef vs FundRef -- does anyone understand why FundRef?

Subject: Re: CrossRef vs FundRef -- does anyone understand why FundRef?
From: Lois Patterson <loisrpatterson -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Debbie Hemstreet <D_Hemstreet -at- rambam -dot- health -dot- gov -dot- il>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:23:49 -0700

I am not in your field, and I'm not an academic, but here is my brief
understanding as a layperson.

FundRef seems to have the purpose of listing who funds research. Among
other purposes, people reading the research can consider whether there
might be a bias. For example, if a phamaceutical company PharmaZ funds a
study that indicates drug X is a cure for Y disease, and PharmaZ produces
drug X, then readers might be suspicious.

With FundRef, this funding information is put in a standard format, so that
it can readily be data-mined. Everyone then refers to PharmaZ in the same
way, so it's easier to find out all the studies that PharmaZ is funding. If
it is sometimes referred to as Pharma_Z (or ZPharma, or whatever) then it
is much harder to track total funding.

With finance, there is a slightly related problem. Suppose that an
institution is involved in numerous financial derivatives trades, but it is
identified in inconsistent ways. To simplify, InvestmentBankQ and
InvestmentBank_Q might be the same institution, but the lack of consistency
makes it much harder to track. Thus certain Dodd-Frank requirements re
Legal Entity Identifers that are currently underway - see, for example:
http://www.pwc.com/us/en/financial-services/regulatory-services/publications/dodd-frank-closer-look/legal-entity-identifier.jhtml

Lois

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ