Re: Greasy fingerprints (was Re: Are Tech Writers Valid anymore)

Subject: Re: Greasy fingerprints (was Re: Are Tech Writers Valid anymore)
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:10:21 -0800

Not being able to load or save files or mount a USB thumb drive is a
deal-breaker for me as far as using my iPad for work. When I've taken
it traveling and had to do things like copy and paste between
applications I'm amazed at how awkward many basic tasks are. There's
something screwy about the WiFi connectivity, too, sometimes it won't
take valid passphrases that work fine with my phone. I did a
screen-capture video a while back and the hoops I had to jump through
were absurd.

I figured out how to do everything I need to do on my Android phone
years ago. Text selection works almost exactly like it does on my
iPad. It's difficult because the screen is so small but that's not an
OS issue.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca> wrote:
> I enjoy having the freedom to do what
> I want with "my" technology. But i chose the simplicity of the iPhone/iPad
> purely because it provides a consistent interface that enables me to get
> more done in other areas of my life that don't revolve around technology.
>
> Contrast that to the myriad of ways you "can" do things on an Android
> device, and possiblly even more, depending on which manufacturer's take of
> the Android OS your stuck with, and you find yourself in an endless cycle
> of finding new ways to do things, rather than just doing the darn thing in
> the first place. Android's text selection UI is just horrible, compared to
> iOS' intuitive method.
>earch our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
Doc-To-Help: new website, content widgets, and an output that works on any screen.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/1eRs4NS