Re: Ribbon menu nomenclature

Subject: Re: Ribbon menu nomenclature
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: Hannah Drake <hannah -at- formulatrix -dot- com>, techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 16:05:40 -0700

The diagram in the Microsoft Manual of Style 4 that explains those
terms is similar to the one on this page:

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Hannah Drake <hannah -at- formulatrix -dot- com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Need some help. In most places, people write about the various menus in the
> ribbon as "tabs", and the groups on the tabs as (appropriately) "groups".
> (I've also seen the tabs referred to as "pages" - I think that would
> introduce confusion to users so I'm not going to use that term, unless that
> would be completely rogue of me - let me know.)
> My question -- I couldn't find terminology for context-sensitive tabs that
> have more than one tab. What would you call these? Sub-tabs? Or would you
> call the big contextual menu something else, besides a tab?
Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more:


You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @

Ribbon menu nomenclature: From: Hannah Drake

Previous by Author: Re: Mark Baker tackles large and complex subjects in his latest post for Every Page is Page One
Next by Author: Re: A status bar by any other name...
Previous by Thread: Ribbon menu nomenclature
Next by Thread: Re: Ribbon menu nomenclature

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads