Re: Using jira for documentation development workflows

Subject: Re: Using jira for documentation development workflows
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 08:23:34 -0700

In Scrum, velocity is the total amount of story points group of
programmers can get through in a sprint. Over time, counting velocity
helps with planning, as the group can make ever more realistic guesses
about how much of the backlog they can schedule for each sprint.

When sizing doc stories, I always counted my own portion as zero,
since I was not a programmer and how much or little time a story took
me had no effect on their velocity. To put it the other way around, I
was not helping the programmers with their stories the way they were
helping each other, so my points didn't belong in the same pool. I
didn't vote, either, since I was not committing myself to
accomplishing the dev tasks. I did take part in the discussions and
sometimes had a big influence on the final votes.

On rare occasions, when it seemed that a story would require
significant developer time, the developers would size their portion,
usually as 1.

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l