Re: New writer looking for advice

Subject: Re: New writer looking for advice
From: "Elisa R. Sawyer" <elisawyer -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:54:53 -0700

I've worked with both two-screen and one-screen setups and am considering a
curved screen for use at home.

Every body's different, so ergonomic needs will differ. For me, a large
screen is nice and dual screens are a convenience, but resolution is more
important than either and having a specific ergonomic seat is vital.

I need to use a saddle seat--literally modeled after a saddle you'd use on
a horse--or suffer pain in my low back, shoulders, elbows, and wrists. The
connections are not intuitively obvious. My desk also needs to be a bit
higher than has been usual, and I am glad that many companies have decided
to provide adjustable desks as standard equipment.

I was surprised by how much difference using this kind of seat makes in my
life.When the need for an ergonomic seat became an absolute necessity, I
tried out each and every option available at an Ergo Depot store. When I
sat down on the Bambach saddle seat, I could feel my spine line up and my
shoulders relaxed a bit. Even with that, I had to go through an adjustment
period so that some of my under-used muscles could get strong enough to use
the seat all day.

I've encouraged other people to try out similar ergonomic seating. Bambach
seems to sell mostly to health professionals. Over time I believe that this
kind of seating will become popular, but for now it seems that convention
prevails.

If you look at old-style seating for farm machinery, the saddle paradigm
was in use. It looks like people have gone toward using seats that look
like couch potato furniture...

I know firsthand that ergonomics are important. :-)

-Elisa

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
wrote:

> People can use whatever works for them, and there are times when
> multiple monitors are essential or helpful, but a student shopping for
> a laptop for school isn't likely to have any problem getting by with
> the one screen.
>
> For your health, it's a good idea to have an external keyboard and
> pointing device, plus a stand to put the laptop on so you can have the
> screen at the right height.
> Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in
> class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as elisawyer -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Elisa Rood Sawyer
Technical and Creative Writer
"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today." Mark Twain