Re: New writer looking for advice

Subject: Re: New writer looking for advice
From: Steve Hudson <sh1448291904 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 10:12:15 +1000

Just some general notes about some of the misconceptions re dual + monitors.

Ergonomics.

One monitor dead in front for your main focus, one to the side for the
secondary stuff. When I am developing, my code, help files, object explorer
etc consume my entire main monitor. WIth fiddling I have managed to squeeze
them all onto one nice big 23" in usable sizes.

The monitor to the side, if I find I have to work a lot with it
temporarily, I swivel in the chair, but the slight turn of the head is much
better than my having to mouse / keyboard excessively to cycle through
everything I need to see. Anything I do want to work with a lot, just gets
dragged onto the main and dragged off again.

So, for a lot of what I do with two monitors, the slight turning of the
head and swiveling of the chair means less work on my already overworked
wrists. I'm definitely down for that.

Resolution

I'm getting on in years, and quite frankly I cant read standard sized OS
text on 22" ultra high res monitors. I need to pump the system font size
up. So its actually past the point where resolution is a limiting factor,
as was certainly the case years ago. It's now about physical real estate,
and as any of the hyper-productive writers who chimed in above will attest,
its about flipping rapidly and effortless through a half dozen apps. Eg, 2
Word documents, a graphics editor or 2, the application being documented
and a publishing tool is not a huge stretch of the imagination. That's not
including a browser open with the latest deals in lingerie, your email and
chat program of choice, for those so inclined.

4th Monitor for World of Warcraft

First, I could have done with a third monitor during tool development, but
i made do with two quite nicely. Those people developing full screen apps
wouldn't have that luxury.

However, the lady's management was mistaken in thinking the 4th monitor
would be used for WoW. All four monitors would be used for WoW, at once,
with beautiful wrap around (increase your Field Of View to max and get
panoramic). You have been able to buy, relatively cheap, daughter boards
with 8 display outs, so that with the one on the pc, you get 9, and can
make a 3x3. That being the case, those with 4 must surely be available and
well within budget.

And for the gamers, 4 wide by 2 high is just... just... yum.

Steve Hudson
Word Heretic