Re: French spacing vs single space after punctuation.

Subject: Re: French spacing vs single space after punctuation.
From: Bee Hanson <beelia -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com" <shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 17:30:57 -0700

I'm pretty sure it's a typesetting convention. I remember watching my uncle set type by hand in his print shop, and he used slugs at the end of sentences. There must have been a certain number normally used, depending on the length of the type in the composing stick, and they must have been used for kerning too.

HTH.

Bee

> On May 25, 2015, at 5:19 PM, Shawn <shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com> wrote:
>
> Hello Helen,
>
>> A simple command will fix this in most text editors.
>
> Not easy in Google Documents.
>
>> Just do it for them and stop whingeing, and get back to worrying about
> conveying information.
>
> I think you missed the levity of my post. My post wasn't meant to be taken
> seriously.
>
>> People who started typing decades ago are going to have this ingrained,
>
> I think you also missed my point about the authors being so young as to
> never encountered typewriters. The puzzle is where did they pick up this
> archaic habit?
>
>> There are worse things than people following outdated conventions. Like
> people who can't be bothered to follow any conventions at all.
>
> 100% agree.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Helen OBoyle <hoboyle -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
>>
>> Some of our brains have been taught that this is the proper way to do it.
>> A simple command will fix this in most text editors. Just do it for them
>> and stop whingeing, and get back to worrying about conveying information.
>>
>> People who started typing decades ago are going to have this ingrained,
>> and even when they choose to do differently, and focus consciously on doing
>> so, it still won't turn out that way a lot of the time. When I moved to a
>> country with UK-English as opposed to US-English spelling conventions, I
>> had to learn and use them. I do, but it's NOT foolproof because a lot of
>> the translation between concept and paper happens in my fingers rather than
>> through conscious thought. Often editors have to turn z's into s's or add
>> u's to my o's, despite many similar words in the same document being
>> correct (because I was conscious of spelling when I wrote them). If you
>> wish to care about double spaces between sentences, make that your problem
>> instead of the engineers'. Be glad that your engineers apparently give you
>> legible enough documents that you have time to go picky on double spaces.
>>
>> There are worse things than people following outdated conventions. Like
>> people who can't be bothered to follow any conventions at all.
>>
>>> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Double spacing after sentences, colons and semicolons is actually called
>>> "English spacing."
>>>
>>> "French spacing" refers to a system in which single spaces are placed
>>> both before and after certain punctuation marks.
>>>
>>> Gene Kim-Eng
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> On 5/25/2015 4:18 PM, Shawn wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> French spacing (or double spacing) is one of my few pet peeves.
>>>
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in
>>> class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT
>>>
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as hoboyle -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>>>
>>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>>> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>>>
>>>
>>> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>>> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
>>> info.
>>>
>>> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
>>> online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>>>
>>> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
>>> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>
>
> --
> *Shawn Connelly*
> Technical writer
> shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com
> <http://www.cohodata.com> <https://twitter.com/cohodata>
>
> 1490 W Broadway, Suite 200, Vancouver, BC, V6H 1H5
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


References:
French spacing vs single space after punctuation.: From: Shawn
Re: French spacing vs single space after punctuation.: From: Gene Kim-Eng
Re: French spacing vs single space after punctuation.: From: Helen OBoyle
Re: French spacing vs single space after punctuation.: From: Shawn

Previous by Author: RE: Off topic - help with 1099
Next by Author: RE: French spacing vs single space after punctuation.
Previous by Thread: Re: French spacing vs single space after punctuation.
Next by Thread: Re: French spacing vs single space after punctuation.


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads