Re: Ask for a raise? Or pack my bags?

Subject: Re: Ask for a raise? Or pack my bags?
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "RaphaelWorkman -at- comcast -dot- net" <raphaelworkman -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:06:23 -0500

Rafael,

Everyone has very useful comments, but I'm curious about a couple of things.

It sounds like the company is well-established. Is that true? Is there any
way you can get a valid assessment of it's bottom line?

Also, are you in or out of the US? I'm surprised at how low your pay is;
it sounds more like you're classified as a low-level secretary. Are all the
salaries at the company low?

It sounds to me like they're paying you sub-standard wages, unless you live
somewhere that has absolutely no cost of living and no jobs of any kind.
The wages have even gone up for Indian workers ....

Color me cynical, but if you want a decent salary, just look for another
job. I heard of anyone who was happy about the results of trying to get a
decent raise. If nothing else, I've seen remote jobs that pay that much or
more, and have the duties you describe.

Good luck,

Kathleen

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 6:31 PM, RaphaelWorkman -at- comcast -dot- net <
raphaelworkman -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

> Hello tech writers:
>
> I don't know where else to turn for advice.
>
> Is it a risk to my job security to ask my supervisor or an HR employee for
> a raise or work from home privileges? I earn an anonymous amount of money
> between $36K and $38K annually. I was hired 3.5 years ago at $32K. I just
> found out the national average is around $60K. I'm feeling undervalued with
> long hours long commute and low-ish pay for my field. I used to be allowed
> 2 days/wk work from home and just to come in on those days for occasional
> meetings. I was told our new building is new and nice and I am now expected
> to be in the office every day. I've been with this company for 8 years
> total and 3 years as an above-average tech writer, content developer (Adobe
> Captivate and Articulate Storyline), and instructional designer. I
> write/develop for a department of 1,000 people in 2 states in call centers
> that support all of the security system installers for US and Puerto Rico.
> The subject matter is highly technical including hardware, software, and
> troubleshooting. I came up th
> rough the ranks 4 years troubleshooting and programming, one year leading
> and training, and 3 years as a tech writer with many "other duties as
> assigned." I imagine my job/work is worth at least $50K. Am I delusional?
> Should I just be happy to even have a job at all? FYI I'm too nervous to
> strike out on my own as a free-lance contractor type but I'm looking around
> at places like Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, and Jeppesen. I'm in my mid 30's
> and I'm old enough to wish for a company from which I could retire, but I
> think I may be deluding myself to think this could happen where I am. There
> are no similar jobs in my company that are just a step up from where I am,
> and none of my peers makes very much money. With my annual "merit
> increases" being anywhere from 0% to 3.1% I don't see myself making very
> much money in the future. I can't really bring this up to my boss or HR
> without a strategy because I fear once they know I want a lot more money
> they may begin quietly looking to repl
> ace me.
>
> Advice?
>
> Thanks,
> Raphael
> Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) |
> http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Kathleen MacDowell