Re: Inland Empire interview attire

Subject: Re: Inland Empire interview attire
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 11:21:40 -0400

> Its not a crime to be overdressed, but showing up in a suit and tie at a
> company where even the upper managers don't dress that way on a day to day
> basis may make you seem a little out of place.

I disagree with Lynne. If not a suit, at least a sport coat and tie informs
me (as the interviewer) that you're wanting to put your best foot forward.
At the GV company I mentioned, daily attire was jeans and a T-shirt. But I
still expected candidates to show up wearing their best.

It's not unheard of, for example, for technical writers to be a part of a
trade show contingent. And I've been in positions, as a technical writer,
where I also delivered seminars to hundreds of IT pros over the course of
one day (and on multiple occasions).

On yet another occasion, I ran a bi-annual software users conference. That
upper management had faith in my ability to rep the company in this way, in
addition to being their sole technical writer, is what got me the job.

The person who can switch-hit like this has it over other candidates.

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW