Re: browser conundrum - creating live links in Webmail ?

Subject: Re: browser conundrum - creating live links in Webmail ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Sweet, Gregory \(HEALTH\)" <gregory -dot- sweet -at- health -dot- ny -dot- gov>, "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:00:53 -0700

That's a complicated question. Is this a new problem? Were you previously able to use webmail in Chrome as you expected?

it wasn't a problem "originally", way back when. But it's been a problem for "a while", and I'm finally wanting to solve it. (OT: I want to solve it so that when I send links to my Mom-who-can-barely-use-a-computer, she can open them more easily than copy-pasting the link. Originally I had her using her Webmail, so a right-click brought up a context menu with "Open Link". But I recently switched her to Windows Live Mail so that she wouldn't have to contend with her ISP's ever-changing web mail interface, and there's no equivalent function.)

I did some surfing, and believe that the problem is related to a well-documented issue starting with Chrome 37 (must've been a while; Chrome is now on version 45) where Chrome made a change that caused a similar problem, and much bigger ones, with Outlook Web Access (OWA).

But something else I read caused me to take a more thorough look at my Webmail interface, and lo-and-behold -- there's a button/function to Create Link (similar to Word's Insert Hyperlink). So when I use that, vs. relying on the browser to recognize that something's a link, all is well. I can send properly hyperlinked URLs from my Webmail, regardless of the browser.

Thanks for the theory -- I'm sure it's sound. But happily this was a case of user ignorance, and now I'm wise :-).

-Monique
Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW