RE: most effective method for SME review?

Subject: RE: most effective method for SME review?
From: "Sharon Metzger" <sharon -dot- metzger -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "'Tom Johnson'" <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L Writing'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 12:48:57 -0400

Confluence question:

We're a Confluence house, too, and all my SMEs are on Confluence, where we
have internal wiki pages as well as product doc sources. They like the
inline comments, and we've also added the Comala Workflows plugin which I
engage when I need their review signoff. I have a VP of Engineering behind
me on this, which certainly helps.

Sounds like your doc sources are not in Confluence. I recently discovered
that you can mark up PDFs in Confluence. I have some PDFs on Confluence
pages. When I click the link to open the PDF in the Confluence viewer, I see
a "pin" icon at the top right to show comments (which have been pinned with
the pin icon at the bottom of the screen). That lets you review and
collaborate, and even @Mention team members to get their attention.

Our inline comments directly on the doc source Confluence pages allow us to
when I've incorporated their comments. The PDF comments look just like the
inline comments' UI so I suspect it works the same way -- you can comment as
you address each comment in your (offline) source files, or Resolve the
thread as appropriate. This ought to be smoother than sending out a PDF to
more than one reviewer, then having to reconcile comments.

General notes on effective methods:

Tool-wise, I tend to agree with "whatever works for the SME." If they like
to mark up hardcopy, I'll be happy to work with that. If they want to email
or mark up a file, that's fine, too.

For me, the most effective general strategies are asking for small chunks at
a time, and asking specific questions of specific people. This keeps "review
the product doc" from seeming too daunting.

Sharon Metzger